Friday, May 9, 2014


Tapir-ing Off

Drawing a Baby Tapir

Prints, posters and signed fine art reproductions are available 
for purchase in my Etys shop at: 
Baby Tapir. 11x17" Ballpoint Pen and Ink wash

When it comes to my list of favorite animals it starts with 1) Rhino, 2) Elephant, and 3) tapir. I love animals that look like they've lived on the planet since the dinosaurs ruled, and these three creatures definitely fit that role perfectly. The tapir showed up about 20-30 million years ago, and are actually decedents of rhinoceroses and horses. That's pretty cool fact!

Something that always struck me about the tapir is the contrasting look between an adult tapir and the infant. The infant tapir has an incredible camouflage spot pattern that is so unique and only last during infancy, while the adult has a very plain looking hide. The  detailed patterning hinds the baby from predators, and is lost as the tapir matures. Naturally I had to draw a baby. Their extremely cool looking black and white pattern on the baby tapir just screamed "draw me"!

Besides my aquatic creatures, this was one of my first full body animal drawings. I always find it challenging to draw the whole animal since so much of my art focuses in on the extreme detail of the animals features. But this time it just worked so well. I hope to do a whole series of full body animals too, so I'll consider this one the first in a series.


Today, all four species of tapir are considered to be endangered. This is mainly due to deforestation and habitat loss, and over hunting of tapirs by humans.

Here are some photos taken during my drawing process








Prints, posters and signed fine art reproductions are available 
for purchase in my Etys shop at: 

No comments:

Post a Comment